Heartbeat in the Heart of the Community
The challenge of cardiovascular disease – quick statistics
- Cardiovascular disease (CVD) is the second largest cause of death in England, accounting for 29% of all deaths in 2011
- Around 46% of all deaths from CVD are from Coronary Heart Disease (CHD) and almost a fifth from stroke (18%)
- Most deaths caused by cardiovascular disease are premature and could easily be prevented by making lifestyle changes. A 1% decrease in cholesterol in the population could lead to a 2–4% CHD mortality reduction; a 1% reduction in smoking prevalence could lead to 2000 fewer CHD deaths per year; and a 1% reduction in population diastolic blood pressure could prevent around 1500 CHD deaths each year
- With an ageing population and the current rising levels of obesity and diabetes in the UK, a strong focus on prevention is essential in reducing premature deaths (mortality) and ill health (morbidity) from CVD in the population as a whole
As the North West’s leading rehabilitation charity, Heartbeat have successfully supported heart patients and those at risk for over 36 years and provide our services for over 800 people every week. We are based in our new state of the art facility in Preston at Preston North End FC.
Heartbeat are committed to the fight to reduce the impact of cardiovascular disease within all communities in and around the North West, through rehabilitation, information and advice, education and lifestyle support.
We wish to introduce you to our latest community project ‘In the heart of the community’ which offers heart health related workshops to local organisations, groups and charity’s. These can be run in house, on your own premises, as part of an event or even as part of a staff away day (ask us about our meeting/training room facilities which are priced at very competitive rates). The sessions can be one off or rolled out throughout the year.
Workshops include topics such as;
- Keeping a healthy heart
- Understanding blood pressure
- Understanding cholesterol
- Understanding diabetes
- Stress and heart health
- Smoking cessation
- Emergency first aid
- Healthy eating
In order to keep our services accessible all sessions within the Preston area are free of charge but we always welcome voluntary donations which help with the upkeep of the resources and enable us continue to run future sessions. A donation big or small is gratefully received, this can be as simple as coins placed in our donation tins or items we can use for raffle prizes.
Some testimonials from our previous workshops
“The Rotary Club could not carry out these tests without the support of Heartbeat”
Roger Mason, District Governor (D 1190) 2014-15, Rotary Club of Garstang and Over Wyre
“Thanks to Siân for doing a great ‘heart health’ talk at our recent team brief. We’d identified a trend of heart issues within our construction teams so your interactive quiz was a great opportunity to raise awareness about causes of conditions and their effects. Your personality brought energy to the room and we have received some great feedback from our participants. Thanks again for supporting us”
Claire Hyde, Construction Functional Manager, United Utilities
If you would like our input into your events, seminars, meetings or conferences, please contact Siân at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01772 717147