Heartbeat NWCC gain Gold Award
Heartbeat NWCC gains second CardiacSmart Gold Award
Heartbeat NWCC had to fulfil specific criteria to gain their second GOLD CardiacSmart award. The aim of the CardiacSmart award is to recognise local business’ and community groups for their dedication to raising awareness of heart health, basic life support and defibrillators.
The CardiacSmart initiative, born from the Chain of Survival Partnership, works to extend the blanket coverage of public access Automated External Defibrillators (AEDs) and provide more individuals with training in basic life support; in order to improve a cardiac arrest victim’s chance of survival.
Around 30,000 people suffer a cardiac arrest outside of hospital each year, and with every minute a person does not receive treatment their chance of survival decreases by 10%. Cardiac arrest is the most extreme case of an emergency, as the patient loses consciousness at once and there are no signs of life. Defibrillators give an electric shock through the chest wall and help to restore a normal heartbeat.
No one knows who will suffer from cardiac arrest, but what is known is that the speed of response, Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and defibrillation within the first few minutes will improve the patient’s chance of survival and recovery.
Sian Percival-Edwards, said “We are very proud to have won our second Cardiac Smart Gold Award. We have worked hard over the past 24 months to promote and deliver the simple skills that can help save someone’s life”
Our achievements 2013-2015:
- We sit on the NWAS Chain of Survival committee steering group
- Delivered first aid to 677 members of the public
- 696 school children have received first aid training
- We deliver fully certified first aid training ( Awareness, Level 2 and 3 courses)
- We deliver annual Clinical First Aid Training for GP’s
- We have helped place 20 AED’s within Lancashire and the Fylde
- 90% of our staff are trained in CPR and AED
- We have AED’s at all of our outreach sites (Leyland Sports Centre, Penwortham Leisure Centre, Burscough Leisure Centre, Chorley Leisure centre, UCLan sports complex, Ribby Hall and Blackpool Leisure Centre)
How we can help you?
- Automated External Defibrillator – We are working very closely with the North West Ambulance Service (NWAS) and PhysioControl, Zoll, Cardiac Science and Green Urban to try and place Defibrillators throughout Lancashire (and beyond). We have a number of AED packages available, whether you’re just looking to purchase a defibrillator, external housing unit for your defibrillator, advice or if you require some professional training.
- Heartstart – We provide Heartstart Training in partnership with the British Heart Foundation to teach you what to do in a life-threatening emergency – simple skills that save lives. To learn the simple skills that save lives, contact us on 01772 717147 or email@example.com to book onto one of our sessions. Sessions are free of charge.
- HSE approved first aid courses – We run level 2 and 3 courses on site to suit your business needs.
Information and Contacts:
For more information on how we achieved CardiacSmart status please contact Sian Percival-Edwards on 01772 717147 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on the CardiacSmart initiative, defibrillators, educational resources and news/events please visit www.cardiacsmart.nwas.nhs.uk