How we’ll ensure the health and safety of people on our courses
We will implement the following measures to keep learners safe:
- We will ask anyone who is unwell with symptoms of Covid-19 to not attend the course
- We encourage regular use of hand washing facilities and provide alcohol-based hand sanitisers for regular use
- One manikin will be provided per learner
- We have also significantly increased stocks of manikin faces and face shields with rigorous cleaning and sanitising procedures
Guidance for all delegates
The main infection risk in a classroom full of learners is contact with other people and/or surfaces rather than the manikin itself.
- Do not attend training should you, or a member of your household, have symptoms of COVID-19 or have had symptoms of COVID-19 in the past 14 days. The symptoms include a new and persistent cough, fever, and loss of smell and/or taste.
- We will ask that you observe a high standard of handwashing, with alcohol gel (or wipes if gel unavailable) provided in addition to handwashing facilities
- You have travelled to/from the countries/regions as listed in https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas/covid-19-specified-countries-and-areas-with-implications-for-returning-travellers-or-visitors-arriving-in-the-uk you should act on the advice of the Government
- You are reminded to cough/sneeze into a tissue and dispose of this into a bin immediately, washing hands afterwards. Alternatively, coughing/sneezing into the bent elbow if no tissue available
- You will be asked to wipe down all equipment after use and dispose of your used wipes in the bin provided
- You will be asked to wear a mask when possible, unless exempt from doing so
- You will be asked to comply with the NHS Track & Trace programme and notify appropriately should they develop symptoms of COVID-19.
Guidance for all training settings
- The training venue must ensure that 2 meters of physical distancing is able to be maintained in the training venue
- Provide appropriate handwashing facilities
- Provide bins for the disposal of cleaning wipes
Adaptations to the assessment of first aid qualifications
The following adaptions have been made during this period to allow effective assessment of learners whilst respecting social distancing measures:
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- The Resuscitation Council still require regulated training providers to teach rescue breaths. During training rescue breaths will be taught, as normal, but we will also cover the protocols for first aiders when dealing with ‘live’ casualties during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Individual manikins will be provided for each learner
- Manakins lungs and airways will be replaced and disposed of after each training session
- Manakins will be cleaned and wiped down with 70% alcohol wipes
- You may use individual face shields
- Learners are able to demonstrate the procedure for assisting a choking casualty on a manikin
- Learners can demonstrate the action for back blows and abdominal thrusts ensuring they are positioning their hands at the correct point on the manikin and carrying out the motion
Demonstration of the use of an adrenaline auto-injector
- Learners should demonstrate use of the training auto-injector on their own thigh, verbally explaining any supporting information needed by the Trainer.
If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact our team on 01772 717147 or email Sian@heartbeat-nwcc.org.uk. Many thanks.